Monday, June 2, 2008

Face/Off

No, I'm not talking about the infamous movie by Nicholas Cage/John Travolta. I'm merely talking about makeup here. Makeup Foundation to be exact.

There are a lot of different types of foundation nowadays that I believe us girls are spoiled for choice. I remember when I first started wearing makeup, I didn't believe in putting on foundation. 16 at that time, press powder was enough on my still immature skin. I didn't have lines, dark spots nor a bad T zone.

As I grew older, I've tested and tried a few different foundation - Liquid, stick and 2-way powder. I remember my first 2-way powder foundation was from Revlon, my first stick foundation was from Maybeline and my first ever liquid foundation was from Cover Girl (At that time, the only store that carried Cover Girl was Tong Hing in Gaya Street).

And then just like skincare, no matter how comfortable I was with my first batch of foundations, I have to change them to adapt with the ever changing condition of my skin. I was quite happy with the Bobbi Brown stick foundation, but it felt 'cakey' on my oily skin. Maybe because I had to apply thick layer to smoothen up those uneven surface of my face skin. And it always ended up making me look like I slapped a few layers of paint on my face, you know, when it's too fair on the face and a tanned on the neck?

Recently I discovered a new liquid foundation by Shu Uemura. It's called Face Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation. It's the best so far!


I've been applying foundation using sponge all these times, until the girl at Shu Uemura counter taught me how to apply foundation with the foundation brush. She was trying to push the foundation brush for me to buy but I bought this Bobbie Brown professional brush set not long ago and I was sure that foundation brush was in the set. And so I've been applying foundation with the brush. The finishing effect is much better than applying with a sponge and not so wasting. You know it's wasting that you use sponge, right? Sponge absorbs the liquid and you end up with less on the face. So. I've thrown away all the sponge that I have in my make up bag... Besides, they are not really that hygienic.

The beauty of going to a cosmetic counter is learning all these skincare & makeup trick from their in-house makeup artist. This is what I learned about setting foundation. After washing, toner and serum & moisturizer, wait for 3-5 minutes to let the moisturizer set before applying the foundation, and then only the concealer. And finish it with loose powder.. You get this routine, you'll get longer staying smooth face. Happy trying!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin